March was a poignant month, there’s no getting around it. We had our individual and communal journeys in saying farewell to Thomas. Even though he “has left the building,” we are still on this path. In this part of our clergy transition process, many of us are still actively experiencing the “saying goodbye” phase while starting to look toward what’s next.
With that in mind, we do have much to look forward to:
Our Transition Process
- Canon Martha Hubbard returns this Sunday, 7 April. She will preside and preach and also will meet with the vestry at noon to kick off our transition planning.
- During the next vestry meeting on 10 April, we will be discussing the process of forming our Search Committee. Please stay tuned for some additional insights coming from that discussion.
- Our search for an Interim Rector is progressing. Suzanne Owayda and I have received a candidate name from our Bishops and Canon Hubbard. This candidate is currently finishing up as Interim Rector in another parish and then will be on sabbatical for a few months. For now, we’re investigating mutual interest and a possible starting time frame. While we are very early in this process, we want to provide as much information to you as we can, and we hope to share additional news soon.
- Our own Miriam Gelfer is now serving as our Bridge Priest, while we anticipate the arrival or our Interim Rector. Miriam will be increasing her hours with us during this period, similar to when Thomas was on sabbatical in 2017. Please know that Miriam is committed to us throughout this transition process and will be working in concert with any Interim Rector whom we select. For now, Miriam and your wardens are working to secure some additional preaching help for Sundays – you will see some familiar faces in the pulpit in the coming weeks and months.
- There’s a new page on our Parish website where you can browse through materials related to our transition. We will be adding to it throughout the transition. Click here to see current information.
Our Elevator – It’s Happening!
The momentum is building for our long-awaited elevator. Here are some highlights:
- Our Accessibility Committee continues their hard work with our Construction Manager, CE Floyd. Our construction project was officially kicked off in late February.
- At the March vestry meeting, we approved spending $75,000 to cover costs of some items requiring a long lead time.
- We are on track to receive final pricing for the elevator on 22 April, and we will have a special vestry meeting shortly thereafter where we will vote to approve and fund the entire project.
- We plan to break ground on 21 May.
- Please help us complete the funding effort for the elevator and give generously to the Together Forever Property Fund. Click here to learn more!
Finally, I leave us with a beautiful prayer I found on the front cover of our Diocese’s Parish Transition Process Document:
O God, you know us better than we know ourselves. Guide us in our search for a new clerical leader. Empower each one of us to use our unique ministries, to share openly and honestly our thoughts, to respect the opinions of others, and to encourage humility, patience and joy. Instill in us a vision of the Church’s family that guided by your Holy Spirit we will be united in love and joyfully accomplish this mission of discovering the one you have called to service with us as our Rector. All this we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
Wishing us all the deepest peace.
With gratitude for each of you,